Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Common Computer Repair Misconceptions - Part 1

As a computer repair professional, I encounter a lot of misconceptions about what we do in this field.  It’s easy to see how these misunderstandings happen, since computers are pretty complex and there’s a “knowledge gap” between technicians and their customers.  Unless your technician really takes the time to explain exactly what’s causing a problem and why – something I strive to do on my client engagements –  misunderstandings can occur that cause difficulties, pain and hard feelings for both parties.   Here are a few of the misconceptions I sometimes encounter.  I hope this fosters a better understanding between computer technicians and you, the client! 

After a Repair, Future Issues are the Technician’s Fault or Problem

This is probably the toughest one of all.  If my mechanic fixes my brakes and, a week later, my engine starts leaking oil, I’m not going to assume they’re related.  This happens all the time in my field, though. 

I’m sure it’s completely innocent and related to the mysterious nature of computers.  Cars have been part of our lives for a very long time and most of us have at least a basic grasp of their systems.  Not so with computers, which have been in households really for the past decade and a half.  The mystery is still very prevalent, but this will change over time.  So I can understand why home and small business computer users might make the whole “correlation/causation” mistake.  The understanding just isn’t there yet.  I'm sure a day will come when a router is as recognizable as a gas cap, but that day's just not here yet.

What I do, after client engagements, is follow up after about a week has gone by.  If my clients are having the same problem or a related issue, I’ll fix it for free for up to a month after the repair.  I do my best to do right by my computer repair customers but if there’s a new problem, it has to be a separate service call and a new fee. 

Everything Can Be Fixed

I’ve been doing this for over a decade and many computer repair guys have been doing it longer.  We can work miracles sometimes.  On other occasions, it’s nobody’s fault that something can’t be fixed.  This is most typically the result of a bad virus or outdated hardware.

I do my best to clean viruses, but if I try for a few hours and your PC is still infected, it’s time to look into other options.  Virus writers specifically craft their little nasties to be difficult to remove.  Even the technician’s best manual removal efforts and AV software might fail.  When this is the case, it’s not really the fault of the tech.  Some viruses simply won’t go away.  Clients need to understand this and be ready for a wipe and reinstall.

The other pain point in the “everything can be fixed” realm is outdated hardware.  If your computer is more than 5 years old and it’s running slowly, there are a few things I can do.  See previous posts here and here regarding what causes a slow computer and what can be done to improve it.  Notice I said "improve" and not "fix?"  That's because technology moves FAST and it’s entirely possible your old computer might just not be up to snuff with regard to running the latest apps.  There really is only so much I or any technician can do to pep up your old PC.  I've leveled with clients before who were happy with my honesty and really just wanted to get an extra year out of their systems.  When we both understand, it's a great feeling.

These are just two of the many misconceptions tech guys like me face.  I’m writing this not to complain, but to hopefully help techs be better techs and customers be better, more understanding customers.  This was fun to write, and I’ll definitely continue soon.  If you live in or around Mount Airy, MD or Frederick , MD and need computer help, check out my site at www.userfriendlysupport.com.  Thanks for reading and happy computing!

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog. These blog is very informative and useful for all users. Thanks to sharing the information about computer repair.

    Kp Computer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Computer Repair Tampa
    Thanks for the effort, keep up the good work Great work, the thoughts you state are truly awesome. I expect you will write several more posts.

    ReplyDelete